Friday, January 11, 2013

NEW 31 Day Challenge: Splatter


I was super excited about today's prompt, as I have never done a splatter mani before. I know the how-to's an such, I had just never gotten around to trying it. And let me tell you: it is MESSY! I know, I know: I've seen other bloggers complain before about how messy it is, but it just didn't sink in. This wasn't just "watermarble" messy, this was "cleaning polish off of my wrists" messy. I wish I had thought to take pre-cleanup photos! 

Also, protip: Try using coffee straws. I used a regular bendy straw that I had, and I could barely get any polish to blow out of it! And when it did, I tended to get huge globs. Smaller is definitely better!


For all the grousing about the difficulty and the mess, I LOVE the finished product! This is definitely an eyecatching technique, and I will absolutely be doing it again! After procuring some coffee straws, of course :) I started with a base of NYC In A Minute Sidewalkers, a nice medium grey. Then I went to town with a straw and all of the creme pinks I could find: Sinful Colors Pink Forever, Wet N Wild Wild Shine Tickled Pink, Sally Hansen Insta Dri Presto Pink, Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure I Pink I Can and Sinful Colors Cream Pink (which, to be fair, isn't really a creme- it has subtle shimmer). 

I call it an unmitigated success, more than making up for yesterday's geometric fiasco! Be sure to check out everyone else's lovely straw art in the links below!







1 comment: