Thursday, October 11, 2012

Spacing Out: Space Cadet by Twenty Seven Polish

In today's post, you get a two-fer review! Yay! Not only do you get to see the first of three lovely polishes I received from Twenty Seven Polish, but you get to hear all about the horrible polish I chose for undies! Boo!


We'll get the bad out of the way first. I bought Sally Hansen Insta Dri in Mint Sprint (which is a ridiculous name, because the polish is obviously teal) specifically to wear under Twenty Seven Space Cadet. I wanted a vibrant teal color, and to my surprise, I had nothing even remotely close in my stash! So off to Walmart I went, and picked up this puppy for something like $4. 


First of all: the brush. It's one of those wide, flat brushes, which I don't hate, but they are definitely not my favorite. It did make the polish quick to apply, three strokes and one coat to done! BUT- my brush was very, very scraggly and crooked at the tips. So it was one coat, three strokes to completely paint my cuticles as well. Major cleanup. 


And then this happened once I took the whole shebang off. Holy staining, Batman, it looks like my nails are molding! It took over a week of buffing and soaking and totally pampering my nails to get them to look halfway decent again. There are still a few spots (Two. Weeks. Later.) that I just can't get off, and I don't want to buff them down anymore! Any ideas? 


But finally, onto the good news! As I said in the beginning of this post, I bought Mint Sprint specifically to wear under this fabulous color: Space Cadet by Twenty Seven Polish. Lisa from Twenty Seven says: "This polish has a clear base that is mixed with beautiful gold shimmer, matte black squares, black bars, small black hexes, yellow hexes and aqua hexes." I didn't get any black squares on my nails, but that is probably the fault of the mini bottle. I didn't know there were squares in it until I looked up the description to paste it here, so I didn't try to fish for them or anything. The bars were pretty sparse as well, but as I'm not a bar glitter fan, that worked out to my benefit :)


Here is two coats of Space Cadet over Mint Sprint. Space Cadet's base is very, ever-so-slightly tinted teal-ish, so I popped in a bottle shot of Mint Sprint for comparison. The color change was barely noticeable. This is topped with a coat of Gelous and a coat of Seche Vite. All photos taken in full sunlight.


They aqua hexes in the polish are lighter than my base color, but they still get a little bit lost, which makes me sad :(


Blurred photo to show off the gold shimmer. The shimmer would pop out like crazy over a darker color! It was definitely evident in person, but I had a hell of a time photographing it!


Space Cadet applied super easily. No glitter clumping, and the coverage was very even. If I had known they were in there, I would have had to fish for the larger black squares, but this is most likely the fault of the mini bottle. I absolutely LOVE the aqua/yellow/black combination, and I don't think I've seen anything quite like this before. Also: The gold shimmer truly is gorgeous! This is definitely one of those "pictures don't do it justice" polishes. 

My only complaint with this polish was the mini bottle itself. The bottle is the same size as your standard mini, but the brush/handle is ridiculously tiny! It's both shorter and skinnier than your typical mini bottles, which made it a bit difficult to work with. I'll include a comparison shot in my next Twenty Seven post, which will be up Saturday!

Twenty Seven Polish can be purchased on Etsy. Full sized bottles are $7, or you can pick up a trio of minis for $8. Tons of glitter topcoats in a wide variety of colors. Lisa was also the first indie Christmas color I came across! (I'm sure you'll forgive me when I post the Merry Mistletoe review way before the Christmas season begins!) Be sure to stop by and like on Facebook for shop swatches and updates, too!

Support your indies, ladies!
-Cheers-
Liz


*This polish was sent to me for an honest review. 












2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this - I've been thinking about getting Mint Sprint for a while, but now that I know how staining it is, I think I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely color, but yow! If I ever wear it again, I'm going to put it on over white or something. It was the worst staining I've ever experienced :( And I HATE bad mouthing polishes, but at least I was able to save you from the moldy-nails that I got :)

    ReplyDelete